Shored: a Simple Hypertext Offline Russian-English Dictionary
by Jean-Marc Desprez
What is Shored?
Shored is a free Android Russian-English and English-Russian dictionary, that offers 55000 russian words with their accented declensions for nouns and accented conjugations for verbs, with most of the times examples of sentence and translation.
It does not require internet connection so its data are cramed into 5M, quite few memory for an Android application. The navigation is intuitive and mimick web browsing.
There are several ways of browsing the dictionary:
- by alphabetic order: used as a reference, like in a paper dictionary
- by frequency: used to discover the basics of the Russian language
- by categories: the 6000 most common words are grouped, used to improve one's knowledge of the Russian language
- by direct search: when looking for a specific word, either in latin or cyrillic characters depending on the virtual keyboard configuration
Source and references
The origin of the dictionary is OpenRussian. It was also the source of inspiration for the graphic design.
OpenRussian is itself derived from a series of collaborative web sites:
Here, you can get the file containing the processed dictionary data: dumpdict.tgz
This application creates different types of information:
- navigation files: contain all the words accessed by the user, used to feed quiz feature
- quiz files: contain list of words to challence the user's knowledge
- preferences: contain all the parameters required to restore the app state between 2 invoquations
None of these information are transmitted anywhere by any mean.
No personal data are either collected, stored or transmitted.
Your feedback is important:
here you can drop me a line :-)
last update: 2018/03/01